Unforeseen Threats: Thunderstorms, Wildlife and Rabies (Week Two, part One of Two)

While the first week flew by for Fox and their companions the second week seemed to be a little slower. The stress of the city and the forced move into homelessness seemed to melt into the background of day to day life. With each passing day a little more of the upset and the tension that had built up over the past few months begun to ease.

While the trio was living out of two tents they were still enveloped by peace that only being in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing but nature could bring. This in itself made the beginning of the second week bearable if not enjoyable. Each night Fox went to sleep to the sounds of cicadas and frogs rather than loud bass, domestic violence and stomping of children throwing fits in the room above them.

The first week had come and gone with little incident, other than Fox and the offspring climbing the Mill Mountain hiking trail, then racing back down ahead of a thunderstorm with the thrums of thunder echoing above them with each pace they descended the mountain.

Shortly into the second week the thunderstorm that had teased Fox and the teen on the mountain found its way home to their camp site. Fox and their companion sat in their tent as the evening sky darkened waiting for the storm to break over the foothills of the mountain. They had covered their tent and the teen’s tent with tarps to help keep the rain out. The lightning danced across the sky, throwing a brilliant backlight for the trees around them that was perfect for evening photography.

After a show of lightning that rivaled even celebratory fireworks, the rain still had not come. Fox and their beloved were beginning to wonder if there would be no rain, if this was just Mother teasing them like she had when Fox and the teen were on the mountain top.

As if to answer their query the sky opened up, and the rain began to pour, a clap of thunder reverberating off the surrounding hills following the torrential onslaught. As the rains fell, Fox and their beloved began to realize how poor their site choice was. Within moments the tent pad where they had placed their tent was beginning to flood. By the time the storm was over there were several inches of water sitting on the pad.

Just as quickly as the rain started it was over and the waters began to drain down the face of the mountain. It was a huge relief to see the several inches of standing water disappear nearly as quickly as it had accumulated.

(part two will be posted Wednesday, as internet access and battery life allows.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

Create your website at WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: